Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Black Music Post

I am still speechless but in my LIVID comments on the last post I started a list of black artists and some producers that were conspicuously absent from the BET awards show but are doing really interesting things. I just wanted a little bit of hope I guess. And a reminder that BET does not have the lock or even the final say on black creativity (even if they do have a responsibility, yes believe the hype, to invest in the potential and power of black music).

Off the top of my head (most are copied straight from the original comment):
Janelle Monae
J*Davey
Santigold
Melanie Fiona
Algebra
Kid Cudi
Hollyweerd
Jazmine Sullivan
Chrisette Michelle (new album is BANGIN! "Blame it on Me"? Hotness)
Charles Hamilton (the boy is crazy but his word flow IS nice)
The Cool Kids
Tyler Woods (new artist with 9th, peep him on YouTube)
Drake (when he isn't onstage with 12 year olds. He is new so I'm going to give him ONE more chance. Don't be a Dummy Drake. Hate to cut you off like Chris Breezy)
Erykah Badu (love all day)
Leela James
9th Wonder
88-keys
Foreign Exchange (and really anything Phonte or Little Brother does)

And the heavy hitters are at it:
Q-Tip has a recent album
Mos Def has a new album out (conspicuously absent from the awards, no?)
Rihanna has new stuff out
Jay-Z has new stuff out
Beyonce (of course)
Ciara (I mess with the music man, I really do)
Black Eyed Peas has a new album
Maxwell has a new album
Akon has stuff that I think is problematic but at least interesting. The song "Beautiful" really grew on me.

And if we happen to go international we've got:
Omar Sosa (He is FINE by the way)
Fanny
Ayo


Please add on in the comments.....

ETA: Corinne Bailey Rae; Estelle (to be fair, she was in attendance)

3 comments:

BLACK LILY said...

im sorry. Drake gets NO LOVE. The BET performances changed the game for a lot of people.... and it wasnt in the "right" directions...

T said...

I still love Drake, but how the hell did Rihanna get on this list. Her only talent is fooling a bunch of people into thinking she has talent.

Wait, sorry, I'm supposed to be uplifting people, not tearing them down right... I believe what I'm doing is called hating.

BUT what if I just don't like it. (LOL!)

middlesister said...

ok, the BET shenanigans with drake were a 'lil much and you all KNOW i didn't watch 1)b/c of my general disinterest in most of TV and 2) my absolute disdain for BET. that said, the kid got them 'kanye-esque skills, son! i often times have to reind myself who i'm listening to.

um, where the EFF is Lupe? Kweli, (not the BIGGEST fan, but) Nas...giiiirl, stop sleeping. and THANK YOU for repping for Little Brother and Foreign Exchange, yum!