Tuesday, February 2, 2010

you got kids?

so, new boo potential on the horizon. nothing major...cool dude, tall enough, good job, well-educated, chill. it works for the moment and we have good convo. it's easy so, purpose is being served.

now, during one of our chill conversations, he asked me if i had kids. my first thought was, "hell no." then, i thought, "why the hell would he ask ME that?" then..."duh, genius." it occurred to me tonight in the shower(don't hate on that good thinking time) that the lead question isn't one that even enters my consciousness to ask. i mean, it kinda makes sense, i don't have kids, therefore, why would it occur to me to ask someone else if they do? (okay, i know the answer to that).

however, it reminded me that no matter how many years i can count on this earth, no matter how much i look at friends' pics on FB and drool over their children, no matter how much i will REALLY want kids someday, I am NOT READY.

but, it also made me think about what i want from a potential mate. i think i'm okay with kids. (egh.) i also think i don't want to be bothered. my child walks herself, eats when she wants to, and sleeps 80% of the day...and doggonit, i like it!

age old convo, but one worth having since i say i'm looking for more (with an open heart) in 2010.

1 comment:

identitycrisis said...

I think it's interesting that you don't think about the kids question and, i'm guessing, people don't ask you either. It does usually come up on the occasion that I'm talking to a guy. I know I'm not ready for kids of my own and I'm not sure I ever will be. In my fantasy world, I don't want a man with kids but there is something endearing, and even attractive, about a man who is really good with his child. Maybe when I don't see the kid, I imagine a Maury type of situation. I dunno. The good thing about a man with kids is that they are his kids. When the relationship ends, the kids go with him. Hmmm. Maybe I just solved my own marriage dilemma. I'll just marry a man with kids. Let me marinate on that for a bit though.