Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Black Iconoclasm of the Week: Stevie Williams


why is it still so affirming to see black people functioning outside of social norms?  
this week's black iconoclasm is a pro skateboarder from west philadelphia.  
stevie williams has a really unique style of skating that he attributes to growing up 
in a spatial environment where physical "obstacles" were a reality that he learned 
to use to his stylistic advantage. deep, stevie. deep.

i bought a skateboard as a birthday gift to myself this past february...a nice one that 
i spent more money on that i should've, and i justified my purchase with the 
philosophy that if i invested good money in my new hobby, i would take it more 
seriously. i told myself i would practice for an hour each day on my lunch break at 
work. that didn't exactly happen, and i haven't ridden it in about 5 weeks now. i fell 
really really hard a while back and realized that i have become fragile in my old age, 
and i've had trouble motivating to subject myself to the prospect of more pain.  
(a metaphor for relationships?)


2 comments:

karlissa said...

I commend you for stepping outside the box and buying a skateboard. When I was in middle school I really wanted a skateboard. My parents told me no, because they were worried I would get hurt. Now you got me thinking about buying one. With everything in life practice makes perfect. You can do it. Make sure you have you protective gear, and I think you should be fine. I think you should keep everyone updated with your progress.

middlesister said...

um...why is your font different? (sorry, the mind of the ADD adult)

also, i heart the metaphor. and i feel you. 110%.