Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Green Doppleganger: Ultraviolet Underground

Those in the blog world may know about this already.

Ultraviolet Underground is a site that...
In an age where the idea of 'selling out' is congratulated, there are still many who remember a time when 'selling out' inspired contempt, not born of envy but of disgust. Art was celebrated for the skill and depth within the wielder. Sell-outs were typically wack cardboard cut outs of the real thing (and in reality still are) who accrued no respect.
At least a decent proportion of the music on the airwaves was acceptable to play in the listening range of children, in the not so distant past, but nearly overnight those values began to change, and those of us refusing to be fooled into dumbing ourselves down sought other alternatives.
...amongst other things. Other things includes a green mentality that puts our halogen bulbs and hybrid car ambitions to shame (check out Purple Mag #7, the official print version of the blog for examples).

I am fan because these guys challenge me to rethink my willingness to go green, my commitment to environmentally friendly alternatives and my appreciation of black underground activity all at once. And they are afrofuturistic.

One article in the latest Purple Mag had an exercise I thought folks in the Common Room might enjoy.

Plant Good Seeds

Uprooting and replacing unwanted thoughtforms/beliefs is a key action in any reprogramming regimen, and
mindgardens everywhere could use a serious overhauling in these days and times. The thoughts we pay
attention to will grow, and knowing this it is crucial we train our minds to stay focused on what should matter,
rather than what we dread.
On a scrap sheet of paper, take a moment to write out a list of the weeds currently in your mindgarden.
Whatever nagging negative thoughts, worries, or recurring situations that must have negative thoughts at
their root. When you've completed your list, take your list of weeds, and in the space below or on a separate
sheet of paper for a more elaborate collage of words and images, write out what you will replace them with.
e.g
Weed list:
'I release the obstacles interrupting my peace and creative flow.

Seed planting list:
'I plant seeds of plentiful hope and abundant resources that are required for my creative/expressive
endeavors.
(p.s. There is no byline to this page and the mag is open source/creative commons registered so I think it is okay to post this here. If not, feel free to correct me and I'll edit this post)

Anyway...

Shall we play? I'm going to try to go with my comment from IC's post:

I release my need to be liked in all situations which is really releasing my own insecurity that I won't be liked.

I plant confidence, a healthy self-image, and a totally zen state of mind. Because I wasn't given life to stress out about it siempre.

Peace yall.

1 comment:

middlesister said...

LOVE/NEED this. thanks.

geez, i love my BEAUTIFUL, BLACK girls...yessir...

again, i can't do this on the spot...but i will keep you posted.