Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We Collect Inspiration: Sonia Sotomayor


b.k.a. "Sonia from the block":

Who am I? I am a “Newyorkrican.” For those of you on the West Coast who do not know what that term means: I am a born and bred New Yorker of Puerto Rican-born parents who came to the states during World War II.

Like many other immigrants to this great land, my parents came because of poverty and to attempt to find and secure a better life for themselves and the family that they hoped to have. They largely succeeded. For that, my brother and I are very grateful. The story of that success is what made me and what makes me the Latina that I am. The Latina side of my identity was forged and closely nurtured by my family through our shared experiences and traditions.

For me, a very special part of my being Latina is the mucho platos de arroz, gandoles y pernir - rice, beans and pork - that I have eaten at countless family holidays and special events. My Latina identity also includes, because of my particularly adventurous taste buds, morcilla, — pig intestines, patitas de cerdo con garbanzo — pigs’ feet with beans, and la lengua y orejas de cuchifrito, pigs’ tongue and ears. I bet the Mexican-Americans in this room are thinking that Puerto Ricans have unusual food tastes. Some of us, like me, do. Part of my Latina identity is the sound of merengue at all our family parties and the heart wrenching Spanish love songs that we enjoy. It is the memory of Saturday afternoon at the movies with my aunt and cousins watching Cantinflas, who is not Puerto Rican, but who was an icon Spanish comedian on par with Abbot and Costello of my generation. My Latina soul was nourished as I visited and played at my grandmother’s house with my cousins and extended family. They were my friends as I grew up. Being a Latina child was watching the adults playing dominos on Saturday night and us kids playing loteria, bingo, with my grandmother calling out the numbers which we marked on our cards with chick peas.


This is actually from Maegan la Mala Ortiz's blog post over at VivirLatino. Read the entire thing please--here.

I will admit some concern over her shadowy stance on abortion. Guess we will have to see how that one plays out...

2 comments:

Cornflake Girl said...

okay, okay...

great that she's a homegirl, identifies, grew up identifying, and is on the court. another woman, and the first latino/a. great. really.

but...

but, but, but, sonia, please don't walk the middle line on us here. we need you to move left of center and stay there for the next +30 years. right now, you are the face that advocates for change, but please be the voice as well. im def feeling her appointment to the court, don't get me wrong, but the solid centerline voting history worries me a bit. we all saw what happened with clarence. sigh.

hopefully, her and barack had a check-in behind closed doors and talked about that before he made an offer.

but inspiration and bbg praises are in order, no doubt.

Kismet Nuñez said...

Indeed Cornflake Girl. Sonia is a baaad mamajamma but BEFORE some foolishness comes out that she says or does and people act all shocked and surprised because shes Latina and how could she (a la blacks and Latinos and Prop 9) for the record:

Again, I am downright skeptical about her willingness to uphold Roe v. Wade as is. And I think the pro-choice lobby needs to stick it to her on this and not back down because she is an attractive pick. She made a decision that upheld the gag rule for groups working in Mexico City and that doesn't make or break her but it doesn't show any commitment to the issue either. I haven't heard her say anything on it and I want to hear either way so I can know if I or my future daughter will need to cross the border to Canada on some foolishness. I also think that since Souter was pro-choice (or at least liberal enough to keep the balance) I think it is only fair for Obama to act right and nominate someone similar.

I celebrate her but....I am a little bit irritated with the over celebration on the left with her nomination. She definitely is middle of the road and she absolutely should be confirmed but let's not lose our minds shall we?

What is this foolishness about her being Catholic and that being such a big deal? I feel a storm coming.

Trailblazer, yes as a woman of color in the business of justice. Trailblazer in her legal decisions...eh.

Role model to little boricuas in the hood? Hell yes.

And this is why we collect inspiration, no?