Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Black Girl Gifts?

I'm in a secret Santa grab bag thing at my internship. Each day we give and get a small gift and on Friday we give a larger gift. Monday, I received nothing but Tuesday I received a bag of candy and a copy (as in a printout on regular computer paper) of The Black Women's Creed. I am the only black intern and the only black person in the grab bag. The black staff members chose not to participate for whatever reason. I don't feel one way or another about the creed but it's a little strange to get gifts like this from white people. These indirect comments about my race only show me that it is an issue for them or is that was it means to be multicultural? A Christmas card would have sufficed. Today, I received some candy. I'm waiting to see how the rest of the week goes and what I will get as a final gift.

My supervisor also bought all of the interns gifts. From what I can tell, everyone received a GAP scarf. I received a GAP (RED) scarf. Maybe I'm looking too deeply at that one but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Has anyone received a black girl gift? If so, please share your stories.

2 comments:

The Maven said...

Interesting... WHAT IS THE BLACK WOMANS CREED? Is this the one you got?

http://www.geocities.com/jywanza1/Creed.html

I don't mind black girl gifts per se...as long as that sensitivity and cultural understanding isn't seasonal!

Sure give me a print out of the Black Woman's Creed, but make sure YOU read it to, and don't get all scared and intimidated when i frame it and hang it on a wall somewhere.

My favorite is when i get Kwanzaa cards with kente clothe bows on the holly and evergreens... CLASSIC.

to me the only offensive part is that it still is not about getting to know ME as an individual. I'm glad you recognize that I'm black. But that's just one facet of a my personality (albeit an "important" one, if we were going to prioritize)

I don't get more ethnic during the holidays... so why should my gifts? skip all the candy and just get me a Snuggie like I want! =)

BLACK LILY said...

IC that is absolutely amazing!

Like i almost fell out of my chair when I read your post... the black woman's creed. i didnt even know that we had a creed...