Friday, December 12, 2008

Catching Up... And A Poem

So I'm sitting in the airport...
Trying to get on an earlier flight...

And I just signed on... AND I AM SO Behind! I haven't been on since IC turned 27! I have a lot to catch up on!

But in the meantime... I am reading Drown by Junot Diaz... And I cam across a poem that I love and wanted to share...

The fact that I
am writing to you
in English
already falsifies what I
wanted to tell you.
My subject:
how to explain to you that I
don't belong to English
though I belong nowhere else

Gustavo Perez Firmat


* Can we say...
James Baldwin- "If Black English ain't English"...
Paula Freire- "change language... change the world"

oh how i miss academia...

** To those in academia... I envy you... if you only knew...

***I am now going to go back to deciding whether or not embossing was so 2007... And finish my conversation with my peers as why people still think its okay to wear uggs... clearly too many women missed the memo about the riding boot...

2 comments:

middlesister said...

so..wait, am i en vogue b/c i have riding boots? or are those soo 2007 also? i got mine in 2007.

-the unfashionista

p.s., i soo envy those in academia on FT Status...

Kismet Nuñez said...

Puh-leeze. Don't be fooled. Academia is/can be as trifling, petty, political and back-stabbing as....well, the Hills.

that poem though was very much on point though. GO BLACK LILLY!