Thursday, November 20, 2008

Can I have your job? or Can I borrow your boyfriend?

So I came home last Monday and my TV wouldn't turn on. I arranged for repair that night with Best Buy thanks to my 4-year product service and replacement plan. Today was the earliest that someone could come out (well actually Tuesday but I wouldn't be here). So dude gets here, unplugs the TV and pushes the power button and the following conversation takes place:

Dude: How much did you pay for this TV?
Me: I dunno a couple hundred plus the warranty. Probably 5-6 hundred.
Dude: Do you want a new TV?
Me: Huh? Can you not fix it?
Dude: I can. I just don't like to.
Me: I waited 10 days for this?
Dude: Yeah, you needed me to come and give you these numbers.
Me: Um, yeah ok.
Dude: I mean, I can fix it. But are you attached to this TV? Is it your baby or something? I just give people new ones.
Me: It's a TV and it's cool when it works. So how soon can I get another one?
Dude: You can get it today.
Me: Do you have one in the car?
Dude: No, you can go to the store.
Me: This one was delivered. How long will that take?
Dude: Well, I dunno, you have to set that up in the store? They'll bring the new one and take this one.
Me: and if I went to the store they'd just give me a new one?
Dude: You would have to take this one in.
Me: Aw, hell naw.

For real? You don't like doing your job so you don't do it? I'm not mad about the new TV. That's why I paid for the plan but I expected the repair man to actually try to repair the TV. Can you imagine if your job was like this. I'm a counselor. For me, it would go something like this - "Do you want new life? I mean I could help you fix it/cope with it better but I don't feel like it. Want a new one? Ok. What kind of family would you like?" I also waited 10 days for the dude to spend 10 minutes here. He has a 4 hour block to complete the job. What the hell is he doing with the extra 3 hours and 50 minutes?

And then... Me carry a 27-inch TV down (and then back up) three flights of stairs? I think not. I probably can't even get it off my entertainment center without dropping it. This is why I need more male friends or to borrow a friend's boyfriend. But really who wants to carry a damn TV up and down the stairs and take a trip to Best Buy with me and wait for me to pick out a new TV etc. for free. (BTW - I'm not that nice to men. I don't care what you think is the best TV or what you would buy if you were me because this is my money/warranty/TV/entertainment center/life. So he would also have to agree to STFU.) When I bought the TV, the ex was still in the picture and we went shopping for TVs a couple of times. Even he was like I don't think we can get this in either of our cars (in the box), let alone carry it up the stairs. I was not about to chance scratching up or dropping anything that I just paid for so I went the delivery route. So, because I am single and have an average size car I have to wait even longer for my new TV...

3 comments:

Kismet Nuñez said...

Not do you want a new life.

middlesister said...

you did FAR better than ya girl. there would have been TONS more expletives. and he DEF would have been called triflin' (as HAIL!)

T said...

I would have wrote a letter to the corporate office. You KNOW your girl is all about letter writing. Works wonders.

I'd also like to say that having a bf would not guarantee a quicker TV. Most men would be like iaintgonebeabletadoit if the TV was real big.