Friday, November 21, 2008

The TV Update


I have a new TV sitting in my entertainment center. I did take my old heavy as hell 27" TV down 3 flights of stairs. I did carry my brand new 32" LCD HDTV up three flights of stairs and set it up my self. How did I come to change my mind - new information. Here is some of the stuff old dude didn't say that would have made yesterday much easier for him and I.
  • Your TV is old. (I bought my TV 11/25/2006. It was a slimfit HDTV with a standard tube. Basically, it looked pretty and had all the bells and whistles but it was old technology.)
  • For what you paid for this one, you could get a pretty cool new TV with much better technology.
  • The new TV would be much lighter than this one and it can fit in your car.
  • In other words, let me upgrade you.
So how did I find out all this new information? I drove myself to Best Buy this morning to pick out a TV and setup a delivery. I stood in line and waited way too long to find out how much I paid for the TV. Apparently, their stores and online systems don't actually communicate. So when I found out I had approximately $500 to spend, I went to look at new TVs. The helpful sales guy shows me TVs that fit my entertainment center but they are closer to $600 or $700. He shows me the 27" TVs which fit the budget but they are kinda small. So I head back to the 32" TVs. I ask "how soon can you deliver this?" "A couple of days." I give him the look. He asks "well, do you need us to set this up for you?" "No, I know how to do that." "Well you can just take that home." "Will it fit in my car?" " Yeah."

I need a minute. I walk around. Check out the smaller TVs and come back to the one I want. I can pick it up. I can get it up the stairs. I head back to customer service hoping they'll let me walk out with this new TV and forget about the monster that I have at home. No Deal. They can pick up the old one/deliver the new one on Tuesday or I can bring the old one back and walk out with the shiny new one. I'm a little heated but I want that new TV. Today. So I come back home and make it happen because...
  • my girl is coming over for a sleepover tonight and I don't wanna watch movies on my laptop.
  • the 24 special will be on TV on Sunday.
  • I'm pretty sure my new HD-DVR is full.
  • I refuse to pay Comcast for another day without being able to watch my cable.
  • I want to go to the gym and have breakfast with Kismet on Tuesday instead of waiting on my TV.
  • my mama told me I don't need a man to do anything.
So I pushed, pulled, dragged, rotated and whatever else it took to get that TV down my 3 flights of stairs and into my car. By my damn self. I may have bruised a knee and stubbed a toe but I got the job done. Best Buy has their lemon back and I have a new TV, with a new 4-year warranty. I didn't need a man, yours or one of my own, to get it done.

6 comments:

middlesister said...

is that a pic of the real thing?

identitycrisis said...

yes, and My DVR of Private Practice. I have sooo much to catch up on. I would have taken the pic from further out but I think I have pics of certain anonymous bloggers on my entertainment center.

middlesister said...

ha! protecting the rights of anon bloggers...so, so kind.

i'm about to watch PP on abc.com RIGHT now!

Kismet Nuñez said...

AWESOME! I didn't need a man for none of it. I know that's right. My mama would have been on me the same damn way.

And I can't wait to sit around and watch your new TV next week...

T said...

My mom would have made my steppops or little brother come get it OR paid someone to do it. The women in my family don't really do manual labor well, BUT I'm glad you got your TV and all's well that end's well.

Now you can tell your daughters (when you have them) that mom was gangsta enough to carry a gigantic TV down 3 flights of stairs, so they can do (fill in the blank).

identitycrisis said...

@T - My mom had 9 brothers and grew up in the South so I'm sure she didn't do a lot moving stuff around. However, in Chicago, its all women - my mom, her sister and her twin girls, my sister and I. As time passed, it seemed that calling a man was only necessary on New Year's Day - thanks to some superstition that also requires me to eat greens and black eyed peas on that day too. Other than that, we found a way to take care of home but I'm sure if I had brothers or could handle being around my dad I would have called them.