Monday, November 24, 2008

Thrift Store Shopping 101

It is a recession. Bad Black Girls are lugging TVs down flights of stairs, buying Macintosh apples and making their lunches at home.

So I was at the thrift store.

I thought I'd toss out some of my thrift store shopping rules. Feel free to add on--in fact, please add on. I could use advice myself.

1. Wear skinny Ts, heavy socks and stretch pants when you go so you can try stuff on. I am damn serious. Even if you are a skinny chick standard size woman, brands cut their clothes differently and you can't count on finding your favorite brand there. Yes I was in the aisle with my thick bootie shimmying into a pair of like-new Jones New York jeans that were only five dollars. And they look great on me.

2. Ignore sizes. Not only because brands cut their clothes differently but also because it is a thrift store which means the clothes have been worn, pressed, washed, stretched and pulled in ways that you won't find in a store. A medium might end up being a large and a small might be an extra-small. That's why I find it easier to try everything on first. I actually like thrift store jeans better for this reason--worn and beaten in jeans just stretch over my sumptuous hips better.

3. Watch for unfixables--big holes, messy tears, rips, missing buttons, yellow under arms, and grey collars. This is also why trying things on helps. I found a button down that looked great on the hanger and tried it on over my skinny T only to find that a middle button was missing. Holes in the crotch of pants are easily missed. Hems that are tattered can be missed too. Think of how you wear out your own clothing and peruse the clothes accordingly.

4. Weigh the fixables. Some holes can be stitched together. Buttons can be sewn on if they aren't designer. Some stains can be bleached out. I didn't try on a Kenneth Cole winter coat and ended up with a middle button hole that was so stretched the coat wouldn't stay closed (probably the reason it got sent to the thrift store in the first place). But the hole was just stretched--add a few stitches and the coat is like new. (The things people won't do to their own clothes...that is a quality coat even today)

5. Press yourself to be edgy in your style options. Again, you can't always come to the thrift store with what you immediately need (i.e. I need a white dress for a party tonight) because that may or may not be available. You can go if you in general know you need work clothes or fun clothes or summer clothes, etc. And you also can't always find--I have yet to find, but my fashion sense is mid-range--the clothes that are the fashion of the season. Because, duh, folks aren't throwing those clothes out (yet). But you can always find basics and old trends. Which means you can make your own style inspired by older trends but still classic enough to look good and unique. Black Lilly and Cornflake Girl can probably comment more on this. I tend towards more classic styles (button downs, jeans, plain shirts) to supplement fashiony stuff I get at department stores. But sometimes I also score with something kind of fashionista like. Either way, don't be afraid to push your own boundaries.

6. Devote time to the shopping. Thrift store isn't one stop shopping, get in and get out. You have to try things on, search for something that fits the style you are going for (or that you are willing to push your boundaries on) and that takes time. Clothes are generally organized by color OR by size. But even when they are, things are always out of order. You don't want to miss something by skipping over a section. I usually spend two to four hours in a thrift store. It is definitely something I have to work into my schedule.

7. Respect the staff and the patrons who really do NEED the thrift store. And be nice to them. Please don't go in there all yuppified (which is why wearing your try-it-on clothes also helps).

8. If you are buying electronics, which I don't, plug them in while you are in the store to test them out.

9. Wash or dry clean everything when you get home. Including the clothes you wore to try things on. I mean, the staff doesn't wear gloves to sort the clothes for no good reason.

That is all I can think of right now. My favorite so far is Unique Thrift Store in Chicago, north of Sheridan and Montrose. I've also hit Value City on University Blvd just past College Park, MD.

10 comments:

T said...

This is good stuff. I keep going into consignment shops in my neighbhorhood thinking they are thrift stores and getting my feelings hurt. I will have to check the one you mentioned out.

Have you ever been to the Brown Elephant (consignment shop). I've heard great things, but I never remember to go when I have cash.

Kismet Nuñez said...

I've never been there. I'll have to check it out. Me and consignment stores don't usually get along on the prices for the same reasons. I guess I figure if I can go there I can go to Ross or Marshalls too. So I wouldn't go there on a price or regular basis.

But when I used to feel like shopping at a boutique but can't pay boutique prices, I used to check out this one place in University City (Missouri). I forget the name.

Good reminder to find places in the DMV, T. I'll let you know what I come up with.

middlesister said...

@ kis, definitely let me know what you find in the DMV...
...you have OFFICIALLY rekindled my love for thrift stores. that was my ish in HS and undergrad.
so when i get up there we MUST spend a half-day thrift store shopping.

middlesister said...

p.s., all EXCELLENT advice.
p.p.s., accessories are always HOT in thrift stores. ALWAYS.

Kismet Nuñez said...

Damn boogie. I forgot about the accessories. So so true. There are always quality belts at thrift stores.

Lé Empress said...

usually i go for knicknacks which are always cute & cheap lil things. maybe i'll have to go w/ u one day and push the hell out of my boundaries cause that thrift store smell gets me every time!

identitycrisis said...

@Lé Empress I can picture you dressed Malindi-style with the anorak, hood and all to actually try on clothes.

Kismet Nuñez said...

Lol. Yeah I should have added that as #10. Be prepared for the thrift store smell. Hence #9--wash them clothes!

But Macy's smells like my money going down the drain. So oh well.

BLACK LILY said...

UMMM KISMET... ARE YOU BECOMING A FASHIONISTA??? CAUSE WHEN I FIRST READ THIS I JUST ASSUMED THAT IT WAS THE MAVEN!!!! I ALWAYS KNEW YOU HAD IT DEEP IN YA... I ALWAYS KNEW IT... :) LOL.

FYI- VALUE CITY IS LIQUIDATING... AS IS CACHE...

DONT BUY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW... THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS IS GOING TO BE A FIELD DAY!

OH AND THE MAVEN- THE BAG YOU GOT FROM BR... VERY CUTE... BUT NOW IT IS 40% OFF. GO AND GET A PRICE ADJUSTMENT! :)

The Maven said...

@ Black Lily...
The original price was for blogging purposes only. I clearly got it on the first day it went 40%off... a little birdy in BR told me about the promo sale a week before it happened! lol ( you know i don't do full price!)

cache is liquidating huh...do i need studded jeans.... lemme think about that.. I may have to run through...