Friday, November 14, 2008

Hair Issues...

So thanks to lemmie, I've been sitting on my couch searching the web for about an hour looking for cute natural hair cuts. There are none. I have found absolutely nothing. What's the deal with that? Do people with natural hair (not locs) actually cut their hair into a style or do we cling to something that can be pulled back with a headband?

To further complicate matters, I have several patches of straight hair. I had my hair trimmed and straightened by the fire-breathing blow dryers of the Egyptian hair salons and one side of my head has not returned to normal. It looks rather lopsided and strange. I thought it would eventually revert to its curly state but it's been two months. So I'm thinking "what if I cut it off?" That would leave me with about two inches of new growth - not a fun thought unless I could figure out a cute style. Maybe something asymmetrical like this...

preserving the curly side and getting rid of the straight chunks. What do you think it would look like curly, with a splash of color? What are the pros and cons of such a look?

I probably don't have the guts to do it. I love my hair but I do want a new look that doesn't involve straight patches.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Opinions?

5 comments:

Kismet Nuñez said...

Living the DMV (DC Maryland VA area) I can tell you I've seen it all. So I guess if you can rock it, you can cut it. But that's just me.

You are so right though. There are very few natural hair sites that have good hair cuts. I sat for a photo shoot for my homegirl who was supposed to launch her site. When it goes up, I'll let yo know.

And a blowdryer = the devil to natural curls....I still love a good straight style every once in a while. :)

middlesister said...

ok, so wait...
...if you cut it are you straightening it (permanently or with an iron?) if so, how would this at all change your current problemo? i ask b/c of the pic.

don't cut it all off. the straight patches are on their way out...soon!

thanks for the head's up, tho...i don't want the straight patches from extreme straightening tools.

have you looked into the "shaping/angle" cutting methods for curly hair? it may help restore some of the original texture. that is my next step...that and some color...whoop whoop!

identitycrisis said...

kismet, please let me know when the site goes up. I feel stuck and all the wack shops here only have twisted styles - I don't have the time or the money to have my hair twisted all the time. Gimme something I can work with.

@lemmie - the pic is an example of the cut but it would be curly. Can't find any curly styles like this so I'm wondering if its a bad idea altogether or just something that doesn't make the web. I'm too chicken to cut it all off but I wanted some friendly opinions. I'll probably let it grow out until the new year and see what can be done.

Kismet Nuñez said...

See and curly is the thing...darn it. The world is not made for curly natural haired girls....

(well. duh. but still.)

T said...

Don't cut it. I heard beer reverts your hair back to it's natural state. Gross, I know, but I think it's worth trying before you cut it.

I love straight hair cuts though. Now that I've done the natural hair transition I'm much more adventurous with my cuts and styles, because I feel like I've done it all (except big chop).

I'm still in love with long hair though, so we'll see what my next move is. I have to do something because wet hair and Chicago winter don't mix.