Friday, November 28, 2008

What I Learned--Thanksgiving 2008 Version

Yesterday I learned....
  • That Little Sis (b.k.a. K. Iris) drives me bananas because she fights just like I do. Relentlessly and on the verge of Dirty. I know that will make us successes one day, but yesterday--over a Scrabble game no less--it was just annoying.

  • That despite the craziness K. Iris drives me too, I love her to death and am so impressed with the young woman she is growing up to be. And with FuBILOD (future brother-in-law-one-day), who is the best thing that ever happened to her. I love them both.

  • That my BMI is five points higher than it should be. How did I learn this? Damn Wii board my mother has which measures your weight...and then adjusts your Wii icon accordingly. So now my Wii icon has a little belly around the middle. Wtf? So I was at Bally's today, with Nunez Mom, sweating over a treadmill. And I can't wait to get back to the DMV so I can find my way to the campus gym and my Afro-Cuban dance class.

  • That my aunt is way more politically saavy than I ever thought she was. We talked about politics (national and Chicago) ALL evening. Thanks Barack!

  • That Chicago white people are still the coolest white people I know. No bull. By Chicago I mean born and bred--no yuppies allowed.

  • That my Puerto Rican mother makes awesome sweet potato pie.

  • That my Puerto Rican grandmother thinks Mexicans talk too loudly on the phone in public (because you NEVER hear Boricuans on the phone on the CTA? Come on....)

  • That Mr. is on my mind all the time, but especially at holiday time. He should have come up here for Thankgiving. :(

  • That my (light-skinned) Puerto Rican cousin is way more racially saavy than I ever thought HE was ("I can't go canvassing in Indiana for Barack--do you see what color I am? I won't make it back!") Of course, he did actually canvass in Indiana and Ohio. Which just shows how awesome he is.

  • That my aunt does not follow Regla Ocha, but she is a believer. And I learned this because she began ranting that a Catholic priest, a rabbi, a Greek Orthodox priest, and a high priestess santera are needed to remove the Cubs curse. (Word??? That's a lot of firepower you're calling on Tia. Then again....)

  • That Nunez Abuela has never heard the song, "My President is Black," but either way, "He isn't black. He is black and white. And we voted for him because we wanted him as our President. Not because he was black." And that I choose to see the positive and the all affirming humanity in that statement, although it did make me a touch suspect. (As suspect as the cell phone remark, abuela?)

  • That my aunt, as Catholic as any Rican I know, not only stated that she firmly believes Catholic priests should be able to marry, but that Catholic priests who molested young boys had nothing to do with them not being able to marry or being gay, "because if they hadn't done it in the Church, they just would have been your neighborhood child molester," and in fact, that gay priests should be ordained because of the aforementioned reason and because their faith is as strong as anyone else's. (I love my family) She also said, and I quote, "If I want to have premarital sex, that is between me and my God." (I LOVE my family)

  • That Chicagoans--or maybe just my family--are a spiritual people. And baseball is part of that spirituality.

  • That, at least according to my text message inbox, I am very loved by a wide range of people. And that my linesisters and I have gotten more and more creative with the text messages. Which I hope only shows that our bond is getting even stronger. :) So I'm thankful for all those who "texted" me, and all those who thought of me over the holiday, and even all those who did not. Danken!

  • That I still dislike green bean casserole.


  • That I still cry when I think of Barack as the Prez. In public. Without shame.

Chime in anytime.

6 comments:

T said...

FuBILOD: This "acronym" is a mess and you know it. You trying too hard. I love you though.

Aw man, we talked about politics on Thanksgiving too. This NEVEr happens.

I also cried in front of a room full of people. They were like "you ok? do you need to get yourself together" and I was like NOPE, I worked hard for this, we did it and these are happy tears. I'm not apologizing for crying. I'm not gonna try to stop crying. I'm happy and I don't care who knows it.

I can honestly say I've never had green bean casserole.

identitycrisis said...

I love your family.

Finding out my BMI and %of body fat was NOT fun. It was motivating though. I'm heading to the gym as soon as I finish my last slice of caramel cake, sweet potato pie, and this pack of cookies I just bought. Um, you wanna come over and help with these cookies?

I have not heard "My President is Black." Do I want to?

I think all grandmas say suspect stuff AND they dare you to say something about it. Mine will hurt your feelings so quick, then be like "what, it's true."

You know I love you but I just reduced my text plan, partially due to your rant.

I don't think I've ever tried green bean casserole and if I did, I blocked it out.

I still haven't really cried but I tear up. A lot. I feel like I need to ration my tears over the next 8 years thanks to your emails and T's Obama Fridays .

Did I mention I love your family?

Kismet Nuñez said...

LOL! I love the Common Room.

Dude Grandmas are so suspect. It is cause they are old. They just don't care.

middlesister said...

grandmas are the FIYAH!
i miss mine tons...first holiday ever without her.

my fav memory: it's christmas (circa 01..i had just cut my hair), ENTIRE fam is around the table, JUST prayed (she lead the prayer, duh), i'm reaching across the table for some ___, and she says, "you cut all your hair off, you one of those dikes?!"

...so i gasp/scream in horror, my cousins/siblings DIE laughing, the adults are having similar reactions, my mom is trying to act like it wasn't said and direct folk back to the zucchini/squash melody...

yea, good times.

i digress.

didn't work out the week before, but i am FULLY committed to the cause when i get back. screw bmi...lmao @ wii!

Kismet Nuñez said...

Okay....

So now I hear the BMI is actually less accurate than the scale---which we all know fails all the thick girls with big thigh muscles. I'm still going to work out but I'm less sad about it.

And new Grandma tidbit. From the other side--

Setting: Random American-style Restaurant in north burbs

Grandma: He must be from Sudan.
Me: (Looking around) Who?

Grandma: That waiter.

Me: Oh? How do you know? (Me thinking diaspora, thinking scarification marks on his check, thinking Wow Grandma You are Way More Worldy Than I Thought and waiting for a great and intellectual explanation that may lead her back to some 60s grassroots radicalism that I never knew about but would be fascinated to know and write down in my memoirs one day)

Grandma's answer

"Cause he is so dark! You can't tell where his neck starts and his (black) shirt begins!"

Me = (wow)ed

Grandmas = suspect but full of love

middlesister said...

ooooo...i LOVE me some grandmas! and i CANNOT wait to be that old and therefore able to say w/e the hell i want to say AND get away with it.